Sunday 2 December 2012

The Boo Radleys: "Wake Up Boo"

Released: 1995


The Boo Radleys had been around, and been press darlings, for a while, but achieved their greatest success with this, their fourth album, off the back of hit single 'Wake Up Boo!'.

I never really understood the appeal of The Boo Radleys. I got their album previous to this one and hated it, and I didn't like this one much more. Other than 'Wake Up Boo!', which is an admittedly brilliant, upbeat single, there's not a single other song on this album that I like, despite this supposedly being the band's "pop" album. It's pretty much just one big mess of substandard, messy songs with little in the way of tunes or direction.

I mentioned before on the 'Britpop Now' post how The Boo Radleys how the band were heavily critical of Britpop, yet appeared on that programme and released the poppiest album of their career at the height of Britpop, which, if anything, makes me dislike this band more than I already do; if you're going to criticise Britpop, then don't jump on the bandwagon.

I'm being generous giving this album one out of five purely because 'Wake Up Boo!' is such a good song. Proof that anyone can write one good song if they try for long enough.

Rating: 1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment