Sunday 20 September 2015

Marco van Bastard (feat. Rita Ora)

In the Euro 88 group stage, England lost to the Netherlands 3-1. I don't remember too many details of the game. What I do remember is that the game kicked off around tea time, soon after I finished school. We had beef, gravy and vegetables for tea. I am certain that my mum had cooked the food well in advance and just reheated it because the gravy was lumpy and a bit jelly-like, which was always a give-away of such a culinary shortcut. Also the plate was the same temperature as the food from having been in the microwave at the same time.


My other memory from this game, which I don't know is true or not, is that the headline on the back of The Sun newspaper the next day was "Van Bastard". (Marco van Basten had scored all 3 goals for Holland in their victory.) I want to believe it's true, but I can find no evidence of it other than in my head. Which is good enough for me to tell people it's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment